Wednesday 21 May 2014

Can't Leave Home Without Them...


So I’m a woman that has the morning ritual of hair, makeup and jewellery before I even consider walking out the front door. There is the odd day or two where I want to be carefree and be al la natural, but mostly I’m doing the same old thing every morning before I can greet my day with the nous it needs…
You see – I started in the jewellery industry when I was a sweet 15 year old girl. My mother’s friend owned a jewellery shop in a small shopping centre near my home called Christina’s Jewellery. She asked if I would like to start a part-time job there. I was transformed, at the tender age of 15 I had strict rules on how I was to present in the shop - even though my only job for the first year was cleaning Bohemia Crystal. I was to wear stocking with all skirts, if I was wearing a peep toe shoe, my toe nails must be painted, now racy red was out, that was considered a colour for the ladies who came out after dark – at 15 I had not a clue what that meant but I wasn’t going to get in trouble for wearing the wrong colour, so pale pink it was. My hair must be tied back in a bun, similar to ballerina’s, so there was to be no flyaways’ as if I had just come from Bondi Beach. My investment in Hairspray begun and I have never had a hair out of place since, to this day I wear my hair shellacked to my head when wearing it up… Personal grooming was a must.
It taught me a very valuable lesson, which I still value today, how you choose to be seen by the world. Don’t get me wrong people – I dress for myself first, always have and always will, but I like to present myself in a way that makes me feel great on the outside but that it also matches how I see myself on the inside.
Because I wear my hair off my face most of the week, I say wearing earrings helps frame my face. I feel naked without a good bold pair of earrings on. Some people can’t leave home without their watch on or their gloss on but for me it’s earrings. If I leave home without them – that’s my day ruined – dramatic I know, but it’s how I feel.

So – being an Antique Dealer and having the luxury of being in the Jewellery trade for the past 23 years, I’ve got me some pretty amazing earrings. I absolutely LOVE antique earrings, I’m often choosing my outfit around the jewellery I wear, can’t say any of my friends do the same but I just love matching my clothing to my jewellery choice of the day. Here are just a few of my fav earrings, they all have meaning, whether I was given a pair for an anniversary or a birthday or as I like to say an “IDI - I Deserve It” present… IDI’s came about when Clients would come in and say things along the lines of “If only it was my birthday coming up”, “I love these for Mother’s Day, but the kids will get me flowers” and my all-time favourite is when a client comes in and say “I’ll need to check with my husband”. This was where I would simply say that you need an “IDI”, why we woman still guilt ourselves into feeling that we don’t deserve to spoil ourselves sometimes is beyond me…

Here are just some of my Spoils………
Enjoy Life...

No comments:

Post a Comment